Friday, July 10, 2009

Are we on the right track?

Remember Mr Brown in 'Mind Your Language' TV series? ...

I was quite saddened with the news that the Education Ministry will stop implementing teaching Maths and Science in English. It was still fresh in my mind that when they first introduced this, loads of opinions and comments (be it negative or positive) were posted.
But I believe the government has done a thorough study, research and the possible implication of this way forward. But my 2 cents worth said that 6 years was perhaps too early for them to make a conclusion that the program was not successful or not achieving the target. Some reports claimed that the government has spent a lot on its overall implementation and that by reverting to the mother tongue languages would be a waste. Perhaps strategically and financially it was a loss but this decisive move would have 2 prongs objective i.e assisting the students in small kampung to 'catch up' and extending the Ministry ways to subtly implement this program by introducing other subjects in English. The most important is to teach English from its very basic root.
(I remember we had this subjects like composition, compehension... I wonder if these subjects are still being implemented..)

I admit my English is not superb. But I'm glad that I am able to write and speak in English. So so la huh! Perhaps my upbringing helps a lot. I used to read English story books and read the NST out loud. My dad used to tell me when you read out loud, it would be easier for you to understand and identify your mispronounciations. Not sure if it was true.. But that what was I did.

My observations?

I noticed that there were some grads who couldn't speak English very well (as expected). I wonder how would they survive in this corporate world. But I do know that some organizations and agencies do send their staff for trainings, seminars and courses. This includes English course as well. I personally think that this is a smart investment. It helps both the organization and the staff.

Some of my relatives and friends converse with their kids in English. This is also one of the significant methods that would assist our children to master the English well.

My conclusion;

Well... whatever the situation is, its up to an individual... When there's a will, there's always a way! So to whom it may concern... ask your self and speak for yourself...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing your thoughts anyone?