Monday, July 6, 2009

The value of a citizenship

Without hesitation, I've accepted an invitation of an old friend to meet up. I've known her since I was in my school days. She got married earlier than I am. Unfortunately she was not able to conceive after she lost her first baby. I used to tell her that there's always blessing in disguise for that reason. She and her hubby finally adopted a son. As far as I know that boy's biological mother is not a Malaysian. So, even though he was born here in Malaysia, he is still considered as non-citizen. Please bear with me as I'm writing on her experience as a Malaysian in dealing with the rules and regulations defined within the ambit of Malaysian Federal Constitution.

S*** and her hubby, J*** finally got the certification of their adopted son (legally done) after 2 years. However, their son's status is still classified as "permanent resident" and not as "Malaysian" as they expected. Bound by the rules, regulations and procedures, they have applied for their son's citizenship last year. I was informed by S*** that the process of the application alone will take 2 years. I wonder what is the reason behind that 'long duration'.... S***'s application was under "Special Provision" whereby to some ppl such an application won't take that long.
Now here is the problem... S*** and J*** will be transferred soon to overseas (which I think will take maybe 2-3 years) . So now they are trying high and low to ensure that they are able to bring along their son according to the pre defined procedures. They went to the Immigration - they were informed PR status person is not eligible to apply for Malaysian passport. If worst come to worst they have to get the biological mother to appear before the Immigration Dept and apply for the same. I knew that the biological mother is missing...

Then they were advised by a close friend to inquire from the Welfare Dept as to whether they can do 'anything' like giving a recommendation letter or whatever as long as they can bring their son along to overseas. Well this was what informed by the officer at the Welfare Dept " We are only responsible for the adoption process. JPN will be the right dept to ask ... According to S*** the officer mentioned that this is the risk adopting a non citizen .............. Hello! with due respect, my friend here is not by her own whim and fancy not to have any child of her own and nor did she purposely choose to adopt a non Malaysian...

They were then advised to refer to JPN. But before S*** could tell me I've already knew the answer. Yes, she still has to wait for the application for he son's status approved. Without that approval no way that she could bring her child overseas.

As a friend and a Malaysian as well, I knew how important is a citizenship. With PR Status per se, you are not eligible to apply for scholarships, you have to pay more for medical purposes (if you go to the government hospital) and many other benefits that are currently enjoyed by the Malaysians. Some Malaysians do not appreciate this. But to some ppl like S*** and J***, its everything for them.

I hope the relevant Ministries will open their eyes and think through whenever it involves genuine cases like S***'s. Wouldn't it be practical if the adoption certification simply convert the PR status of her son to Malaysian citizenship. After all both of S*** and J*** are serving with the government. I admit the value of a citizenship is precious and that the Home Affairs Ministry would be the single authority that will produce the verdict. But I am sure they could think of some other ways to shorten the period taken to approve an application. And it is also depends on the classes of application ... To me S***'s application can be processed earlier and approved in a shorter period of time.

To S*** and J***, hang on there my friend.. Its not the end of the world. God will always be there for you....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing your thoughts anyone?